Having completed on the purchase of the 450-acre site in South Wales, Northern Powerhouse Developments have moved one step closer to delivering Afan Valley Adventure Resort.
We look back on the journey so far and the key stages over the past 12 months.
In January 2017, Northern Powerhouse Developments began delivering a ground-breaking new lifestyle experience onto the UK holiday market.
It was the birth of Afan Valley Adventure Resort.
Billed as the ultimate adventure playground and featuring a multitude of outdoor pursuits and adrenaline-fuelled activities, all in one location, the multi-million-pound project has since caught the imagination of all who have seen it.
Now 12 months on, NPD are delighted to announce they have completed on the purchase of the land in South Wales and are ready to begin the next chapter of this exciting and unique project.
It marks a major milestone in the journey to date to transform the 450-acre site into an all-encompassing and exhilarating adventure playground, where visitors can indulge in high-octane activities or total relaxation whilst also getting the chance to socialise, all in one inspirational location.
Split into four activity zones: Alpine, Forest, Trails and Xtreme, the resort will provide the perfect base for those looking for sheer fun and light escape to those seeking a more serious test of strength and stamina.
From downhill skiing to water sports; high-wire forest adventures to off-road biking; survival training to trampolining, this is a resort that will deliver a stunning menu of physical discoveries.
Alongside the staggering wealth of activities, the resort will also include a stunning Central Plaza, which will be home to shops, bars and restaurants while luxury accommodation will be provided by 450 lodges and a 100-bedroom hotel and spa.
With some of the world’s most experienced architectural designers and leisure professionals appointed to ensure the highest quality and authenticity for guests plus the support of the Welsh Government, Afan Valley Adventure Resort is gearing up for an exciting future.
Here we look back on the past 12 months.
Afan Valley Adventure Resort
- Peter Moore OBE appointed as Chairman of Leisure.
- Branding of the resort and individual activity zones confirmed
- NPD meet with Welsh Government officials to present their initial plans and vision for Afan Valley Adventure Resort.
- Powell Dobson are appointed principle architects at Afan Valley Adventure Resort.
- The Bear Grylls Survival Academy announce their arrival at the resort and confirm it will become their European HQ for the Bear Grylls Instructors Academy.
- NPD announce the arrival of Afan Valley Adventure Resort to the national press.
- Welsh Government Cabinet Secretary for Economy and Infrastructure Ken Skates visits the resort to see plans and hear how it will be transformed into a multi-million-pound resort. Following the visit, he said: “Afan Valley Adventure Resort will become one of the most important tourist attractions anywhere in the country.”
- On a visit to the site, Welsh Assembly Member Huw Irranca-Davies, said: “Afan valley Adventure Resort is coming at exactly the right time and in the right place and the energy surrounding the project from everybody involved is incredible.”
- Over 25 key partners from across the world are given the opportunity to come and see where the resort will be built, how it will operate and hear from the team who will bring it together. The event was hailed a huge success.
- The first phase of lodge accommodation is released on to market
- NPD begin working with a Welsh Government Task Force and hold a number of forums and consultations with local residents and businesses about what Afan valley Adventure Resort will bring to the region.
- Global integrated infrastructure firm AECOM are appointed to deliver the project management, cost consultancy and multi-disciplinary services at Afan Valley Adventure Resort.
- Chartered town planners and designers, Nineteen47, submit the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Scoping Report – the first critical stage in the planning process.
- Snowsport Cymru Wales appointed to oversee the delivery of the
skiing and snowboarding activities within the Alpine Zone at Afan Valley Adventure Resort Working alongside Briton Engineering Developments and Snowflex, they will help designing and developing the three artificial ski slopes at the resort.
- Northern Powerhouse Development announce they have completed on the purchase of land at Afan Valley.